Thanks for riding with me

Hey its Maddox and thanks for tagging along on this wonderful journey to Seoul for a great oppurtunity to be challenged outside of the US boundaries.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

More Prep week








I realized after the last post that I had miss placed a few photos of the areas that we located. One thing about this film is that ever since that first phone call,with my director Christian, its been an adventure that seems to be getting bigger. What I mean is the scope of the film seems to be growing in size, I honestly am not sure what the budget is on this movie but my wife and I do know that the lights will be on for a long while.
Enough of that but we have some interesting locations considering its a dance action film. The Stunt coordinator asked me if there was anything different in 3D when dealing with stunts, good question. I told him as far as the best vantage point for him nothing much changes. 3D is definetly more of a POV perspective when it comes to film making. A point given in my 3D seminar at Sony as well as our seminar here, that was held by our stereographer/3D technician Florian CEO of Stereotechnica, a German based company. Its pretty fun at times that he and his assistant Sara, both of whom are from Munich Germany, speaking in Germanenglish then the rest of the crew speaking in Koreanenglish, and then us African Americans with our own vernacular of English can make an interesting car ride.
So within our United Nations Korean action dance flick, I am trying to approach each lead character with a certain hora that will follow them around, via both lighting and camera. The camera aspect definetly is going to be tricky with the 3Dimensional aspect. I say that because what I'm use to possibly using as a Close Up can be "experienced" by the audience as too big or cookie cutter flat. Camera positions/eye lines need to be inline with the viewer. In regular movies/2D the rules are a bit different. So within our scout, its a matter of thinking about how much room does the rig have and can we put the audience in the best view point to understand whats going with the use of that 3rd Dimensional aspect.
Within my use of color I'm trying to play it quite simple in the use of saturation with characters to convey something emotional, a nice little tid bit many of us cameramen use from the likes of Vittorio Storaro A.I.C, and Ernest Dickerson ASC to name a couple. I'm getting at the fact that I try to make up some rules about color while I see a space that we might shoot in, and then ask the director about the character and analyze if these major variables will go together to push our story further. So here are a few more picts from the scouting of locations and also from our seminar with our Stereographer/3D tech expert Florian. I must say I have experienced a full corriculm about motion picture 3D in less than a months time. Florian has been playing with 3D for about 8 to 10 years. He is a true Stereographer and understands both creative and technical story telling and is always on his calculator to save myself and the audience from having our eyes go sideways....literally!
Gotta tell you I LOVE every minute of it even when
I got sick from Soju. :-$

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible. The locations look amazing. I am very interested in hearing more about this color saturation for each character. Great stuff, Maddox.

    ReplyDelete